Poisonous plants should be avoided in any case. Anyone who has ever been on a hike might know what Poison ivy looks like, and therefore take care to avoid it. The poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans) is a plant that causes an immune reaction in most people. And the poison sumac (Toxicodendron vernix) can cause skin blisters and is even more poisonous than poison ivy. Whereas poison oak (Rhus Toxicodendron) looks very similar to the three aforementioned plants, its leaves are shinier in appearance and there may be hairs where poison ivy usually does not have any hairs.
Symptoms of Poisonous Plants
When someone touches one of these three poisonous plants, they will develop contact dermatitis within twelve hours. Symptoms include swelling, redness, and itching, which can develop into blisters. These plant chemicals can also cause more serious symptoms including fever, muscle aches, nausea, intense itching of the eyes and mouth, and inflammation of the lymph nodes.
Poisonous plants such as the following are poisonous to pets as well.
- The Poison hemlock (Conium maculatum)
- Poison pokeweed (Phytolacca americana)
- The Poison larkspur (Delphinium barbeyi)
- Poison datura (Datura stramonium)
- The Poison oak
- Poison ivy
If you come across one of these three poisonous plants it is best not to touch it. If someone should come in contact with one of these plants. It is best to clean the affected area thoroughly with soap and warm water while removing any clothing that was contacted. Afterward, apply a thin layer of hydrocortisone ointment to the affected skin to reduce itching and swelling.
Poisonous plant chemicals can remain on clothing, so wash your clothes as well if they become exposed. If you are experiencing severe symptoms after coming in contact with Poison sumac or Poison oak, consult a doctor immediately as antibiotics may be used. Poison ivy and Poison sumac are known for their irritating oils. They can cause life-threatening allergic reactions in rare circumstances such as asthma, shock, or suffocation due to airway obstruction and in some cases result in death.
Recent studies show that individuals who are exposed to these plants regularly, such as farmers or firefighters may experience increased risk types of cancer.
How to get rid of poisonous plants from our garden?
To get rid of the poisonous plants, you need to make sure you are aware of the plant species. Poisonous plants often grow wild in sunny, moist areas such as those found in woodlands, thickets, and meadows. Sometimes Poison ivy or Poison oak may even be planted by mistake instead of a regular ornamental plant. To get rid of Poison ivy or Poison oak you will have to remove all the vines from the ground using a shovel, and then remove the roots up to one foot deep.
After that, pour a solution of 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% vinegar over the soil. You can also use Roundup or another commercial weed killer to get rid of Poison ivy or Poison oak. Poison hemlock can be pulled out of the ground by hand because it usually does not have any deep roots.
To get rid of Poison sumac you need to remove all leaves, twigs, and vines from the affected area using a shovel or rake. Then spray the Poison sumac with undiluted dish soap, which is 40% to 50% pure organic sodium hydroxide. You can also use the commercial weed killer Roundup to get rid of Poison sumac.
Poisonous plants possess chemicals, which are harmful and irritating to humans. Poison hemlock, Poison pokeweed, Poison larkspur, Poison datura, Poison oak, or Poison ivy will cause contact dermatitis; Poison sumac will irritate the skin as well. Poisonous plant chemicals can remain on clothing and household items such as pets or children’s toys. So be sure to wash them before use. The best way to get rid of Poison plants in your garden is by pulling Poison hemlock out of the ground using a shovel. Poison pokeweed or Poison ivy by removing all vines. Poison sumac by removing the leaves, and Poison oak or Poison datura using a weed killer.
In case of any symptoms, consult your doctor immediately.